Sunday 7 March 2010


Home, to me, is Ethiopia. It is where i was born and grew up. It is the place I have the most connections to both physically and more importantly emotionally. Of course the idea of home changes from person to person. For me, it is where my family is as i am close to them and i feel natural when i am around them. Studying overseas in a forgein country, i am surrounded by foreign issues, ideas and products. This makes me feel disconnected to some extent. I feel like a fish out of water, trying to make a new friend base and get some roots. It is because of these feelings that West London is not home to me, the idea of home is largely based on the emotional connections one has. It is where we feel we belong, a place where we feel is natural to us. I also have family in England and we have often visited there when i was growing up. I call England my ‘second home’, as i have strong connections to family and places there. It has been an integral part in my childhood and therefore i feel comfortable there and it feels natural when i am there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment